Located in a state-of-the-art facility on Columbia Road, NW, the organization, started in the basement of a local church, has advanced far from its origins 16 years ago as a program for 15 neighborhood children.
Now it serves over 400 children and families and is developing into a model community educational facility in the areas of child and youth development and family programming, The Learning Center's evolution from a childcare provider to a full-service education and family support entity can be attributed to its success in uplifting staff, parents, and program participants from within the organization and garnering assistance from a network of external partners.
The organization and its programs have been guided by the commitment of the staff andto: supporting parents and their children Board of Directors’s personal and educational development; responsiveness to parent’s requests for additional programs; purposeful engagement of children, youth, and community members in the Learning Center’s activities.
- Providing a safe, nurturing, healthy, and accessible environment that serves children, youth, and working families.
- Believing that one's learning experience begins with the fundamental respect for his/her strengths, culture(s), and family.
- Cultivating family members as partners enriches a child's educational experience.
- Collaborating with other community organizations strengthens the network of support for children, youth, families, and staff.
- Providing quality academic and cultural experiences enriches a child's learning experience.
- Promoting the active involvement of children, youth, families, staff, and the larger community in program design, program evaluation, and organizational governance.